Adverbs are used to describe verbs, adjectives, or other adverbs. They tell us how, when, or where a thing is done.
• The old man speaks slowly. (How)
• He arrived yesterday. (When)
• The boy is inside the room. (Where)
Types of adverbs
Adverb of manner: An adverb of manner describes the way in which something happens, happened, or will happen. Adverbs of manner respond to the question "How?" by describing how something is done or occurs.
• He runs fast.
• He speaks fluently.
Adverb of time: Adverb of time informs us about the time of action. These adverbs provide an answer to the question "when?"
• I will arrive soon.
• He left an hour ago.
Adverbs of place or location: An adverb of place informs us about the location of the action. It answers the question “Where?” by referring to the location where an action occurs/occurred/will occur.
• I looked everywhere for you.
• I found a box of pearls there.
Adverbs of frequency: An adverb of frequency describes how often an action happens.
• I often call him on Sundays.
• I rarely go shopping.
Adverb of degree: Adverb of degree describes the degree or extent to which something occurs, occurred, or will occur. It provides an answer to the question "how much?" or "to what extent?"
• She is very beautiful.
• It is extremely cold outside.
Positions of adverbs:
There are three main positions of adverbs in a sentence.
• At the beginning of a sentence.
1. Fortunately, we got our flight.
• In the middle of the sentence.
2. She never skip breakfast.
• At the end of the sentence.
3. She works silently.
Spot the adverb in the following sentences.
1. She has got an absolutely lovely face.
2. She often feels lonely.
3. Has there been an accident?
4. I enjoyed the play, particularly the second half.
5. He isn’t in the office much.
6. The letter came a few days ago.
7. She is leaving tomorrow.
8. The disease spreads quickly.
9. I stood outside the corridor, looking through the window.
10. The best rooms go to those who book earliest.
Yearlong program for Olympiads preparation & to build necessary skills for future.Explore More
Time to mark your calendar with the upcoming Olympiads exam schedule.Explore More
Take your Olympiad preparation to next-level by taking LIVE Classes.Explore More
Assess your performance by taking topic-wise and full length mock tests.Explore More
Know your true potential by participating in Unicus Olympiads for classes 1-11.Explore More
Give wings to your innovation by appearing in CREST Olympiads for Prep/KG to classes 1-10.Explore More