A preposition is a word that links a noun, pronoun, or noun phrase to some other part of the sentence.
For English learners, prepositions might be challenging. There is no set formula or rule for selecting a preposition. When reading or listening in English, you should try to identify a preposition and recognise its usage when you are first learning the language.
• In the room
• Into the pond
• To the school
• With a knife
• On the table
A preposition is used to show direction, location, or time, or to introduce an object.
Uses of some important prepositions:
|At||Specific locations, addresses, companies, stores, events, parties, exact time, etc.|
Enclosed spaces, buildings, regions, water, mountain ranges, forests, cities, space, group of people, month, year, etc.
|On||Surfaces, roads, shores, islands, planets, public transportation, big boats, days, dates, etc.|
• In the company or presence of somebody/something.
E.g. I have a client with me right now.
• Using something
E.g. You can cut it with a knife.
• In the direction of something.
E.g. He is going to Paris.
• To show the time or point in time when something starts.
E.g. The show starts from Monday.
• Used to denote ‘down or away from a place or at a distance in space or time’.
E.g. We are getting right off the subject.
• From one end or side of something/somebody to the other.
E.g. The bullet went straight through him.
• From one side to the other side of something.
E.g. A grin spread across her face.
• Used to say that somebody/something is in a position in front of somebody/something.
E.g. Your name is before mine on the list.
• At or to a lower level or position than somebody/something.
E.g. Skirts will be worn below the knee.
• Before a particular period of time has passed.
E.g. You will receive a reply within seven days.
• Inside the range or limits of something.
E.g. We are now within the range of enemy fire.
• Under somebody/something.
E.g. They found the money buried beneath a pile of leaves.
Complete the given sentences with the most suitable option.
1. There was a big clock ______ the painting.
2. There was a free phone ______ the car.
3. The men were standing _____ the roof.
4. The metro station is right _______ the airport.
5. He took a handkerchief _____ his pocket.
6. They were still 100 metres _____ the summit.
7. I asked someone the way _____ the town centre.
8. They walked slowly ________ the forest.
9. I enjoyed my three years ______ university.
10. When I reached the river, I simply swam _______.
Yearlong program for Olympiads preparation & to build necessary skills for future.Explore More
Time to mark your calendar with the upcoming Olympiads exam schedule.Explore More
Take your Olympiad preparation to next-level by taking LIVE Classes.Explore More
Assess your performance by taking topic-wise and full length mock tests.Explore More
Know your true potential by participating in Unicus Olympiads for classes 1-11.Explore More
Give wings to your innovation by appearing in CREST Olympiads for Prep/KG to classes 1-10.Explore More