Verbs are words that express some action, existence or feeling.
He cooks very delicious food.
She is a very kind woman.
The words “cooks” and “is” in the above sentences are verbs.
Verbs are broadly categorized as principal verbs and auxiliary verbs apart from transitive and intransitive verbs.
• The main verb, also called the principal verb refers to the important verbs that generally shows the action or state of being of the subject.
• She is laughing loudly.
• He works in a bank.
In the above sentences “working” and “going” are the main verbs.
The primary Auxiliary verbs are:
• Forms of to be: is, was, am, are, being, been, were.
• Forms of to have: has, had
• Forms of to do: does, did
“Modals” are also included in auxiliary verbs:
• May, might, can, could, shall, should, must, will and would.
In the sentence “You should help the poor.”, “should” is the helping verb while “help” is the principal verb.
• Transitive verbs are the verbs in which the action passes over or transfers from the doer to something or someone, usually called as the object.
• He (Doer) kicks (Transitive verb) the ball. (Object).
• An intransitive verb is one in which action stops with the doer and does not require an object.
• He (Doer) laughed (Intransitive verb).
Subject- verb agreement: Subject-verb agreement means that the subject and the verb in a sentence should agree with each other in number i.e. if the subject is plural, the verb should also be plural and vice-versa.
• Jack and Jason are working very hard.
• Students are making a lot of noise.
• He has been to this place earlier.
Fill in the blanks with the most suitable option.
1. Each of these products _______ its own benefits.
2. The furniture in your house ______ very elegant.
3. Most of my friends _______ abroad.
4. He is one of the men who never __________ anyone easily.
5. Few students ______ cleared this exam.
d. has been
6. Brick and stone ________ lying scattered on the floor.
b. have been
7. Neither she nor her parents ________ her to get married.
d. has ever wanted
8. My father along with his friends _______ gone for a walk.
9. A plenty of water _________ supplied to the villagers.
a. has been
b. have to be
d. have been
10. A group of boys _______ playing in the playground.
d. have been
Yearlong program for Olympiads preparation & to build necessary skills for future.Explore More
Time to mark your calendar with the upcoming Olympiads exam schedule.Explore More
Take your Olympiad preparation to next-level by taking LIVE Classes.Explore More
Assess your performance by taking topic-wise and full length mock tests.Explore More
Know your true potential by participating in Unicus Olympiads for classes 1-11.Explore More
Give wings to your innovation by appearing in CREST Olympiads for Prep/KG to classes 1-10.Explore More