Articles are words that indicate whether a noun is specific or non-specific. Articles include the words "a," "an," and "the." Because “a” and “an” do not refer to a specific location, thing, or person, they are classified as Indefinite Articles. “The” is also known as the Definite Article because it is used to refer to a specific object or concept.
• He is an M.L.A.
• There is a mouse in the shop.
• The boy with brown eyes won the competition.
Use of ‘A’:
• The article ‘a’ is used with singular countable nouns that begin with a consonant sound.
1. A good dancer, a very intelligent student, etc.
Use of ‘An’:
• The article ‘an’ is used with singular countable nouns that begin with a vowel sound.
1. An apple, an hour, an M.P., an actor, etc.
Use of ‘The’:
• The definite article ‘the’ is used to refer to specific things or things that have been mentioned in the sentence earlier.
1. The boy who won the competition is my son.
• ‘The’ is used with the names of some countries that have words like republic, states, union, etc. in their names.
1. The United States of America, the United Kingdom, etc.
• With the names of unique things, rivers, mountains, oceans, etc.
1. The earth, the world, the Ganga, the Pacific ocean, etc.
Fill in the blanks with the most suitable option.
1. _______ landlord has started ______ new business.
a. A, an
b. The, the
c. A, the
d. The, a
2. Please give me _______ copy of _______ Hindu.
a. a, The
b. the, A
c. the, The
d. a, A
3. Ellen saw ________ eagle in her garden.
d. no article needed
4. Raman’s father is _______ advocate in ______ Supreme Court.
a. a, the
b. an, the
c. the, the
d. an, a
5. ______ Ganga flows from _______ Himalayas.
a. A, the
b. A, a
c. The, a
d. The, the
6. My brother is ______ engineer in ______ reputed company.
a. an, the
b. a, a
c. an, a
d. the, the
7. ______ apple _______ day keeps ______ doctor away.
a. An, a, the
b. The, a, a
c. The, a, the
d. A, an, the
8. _______ ink in my pen is blue.
d. No article needed
9. Please lend ______ pencil from ______ pile of pencils that you have.
a. a, a
b. the, the
c. a, the
d. the, a
10. Miss Jing speaks _______ Japanese.
d. no article needed